Sharing the clay
Sharing + caring
Cor Unum, a ceramic art company in the Netherlands, is really committed to inspiring young design talent. For that reason, Cor Unum organises an annual international design competition for talented designers, who are studying art and/or design. The sixth edition of this competition is being prepared by Cor Unum and by teachers of art & design schools in the Netherlands. They unanimously voted for this year’s theme: Sharing + Caring.
By sharing your ideas, ideals, concerns and solutions, you can take care for those who can’t take care of themselves. In short: how can sharing your design take care of those who can’t, for example individualism, charity, sustainability, food sharing and waste.
Please feel free to interpret the contest theme Sharing + Caring in the broadest sense of the words. However the practicability of your design in ceramic is a condition.
The journey to the eventual nomination and possibility of winning an award, consists of an extended and inspirational program. Entrants to the contest can follow the next steps:
1. I’m in / Subscription from the 1st of July
Final entry date for participation:
December 11, 2018
2. See, hear & learn / October 9, 2018
Visit to the Design Museum, Den Bosch where a lecture will be given by Timo de Rijk, managing director of the museum & Visit to Cor Unum, where a lecture an a tour will be given by Charlotte Landsheer, managing director of Cor Unum.
3. Speed-date / December 11, 2018
Feedback moment for participants by leading
Dutch designers such as David Derksen,
Stephanie van Keijsteren (Studio RENS),
Renee Mennen (Studio RENS), Bas van Beek,
Sophie Boonman, Floris Hovers and Alex
de Witte. But also professionals such as
Ton Musch (moulder Cor Unum), Bryan van
Schooten (moulder Cor Unum), Charlotte
Landsheer (production Cor Unum).
Students can ask for feedback on how to
tackle problems concerning the realisation of
their design or how to improve their design.
4. Here it is / 31 January 31, 2019
Deadline for submission of your design
5. You’re the one / February 5 2019
Announcement of the nominees
6. Here am I / February 19, 2019
Pitch by the nominees to the jury and award
Art & design schools are invited to incorporate
these events in their educational program.
How to participate?
• This competition is open to students currently attending education and being enrolled in an art & design school or course.
• For entries please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (closing date December 11, 2018) You will receive a message which will confirm your participation and will give more information on how to submit your design before January 31, 2019.
• Participants are requested to submit a prototype that can be produced in either porcelain or pottery.
•Please ensure that your entry includes:
1. Your name and contact details,
2. What school year you are in,
3. A clear explanation/description and presentation of your design,
4. The title of your design.
Full design brief
Log on to our website to download the full design brief.